• What is the Americans with Disabilities Act? 
    • The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was created to ensure that people with disabilities are protected from discrimination and have an equal opportunity to utilize services and resources in our society. University policy and the ADA prohibit discrimination against all individuals with disabilities. This includes staff (regardless of full-time employment status or probationary period), faculty, students, athletes, visitors, residents, and participants in University activities. The ADA also provides for equal access to University programs and activities, and for reasonable accommodation in both academic programs and in the workplace. 
  • What is a reasonable accommodation? 
    • A reasonable accommodation is any requested modification or adjustment to job duties, work schedule, or the work environment which enables a qualified applicant or employee with a disability to participate in the application process or to perform essential job functions of the position. Reasonable accommodation also includes adjustments to ensure that a qualified individual with a disability has access to rights and privileges in employment equal to those of employees without disabilities. 
  • How do I request an accommodation? 
  • Can my supervisor deny my accommodation request? 
    • Only a University ADA Coordinator may deny an accommodation request. 
  • Can I receive an accommodation in order to care for a family member with a disability? 
    • Workplace accommodations are only available to an employee with a disability or serious medical condition. If you need adjustments related to taking care of a family member, contact UNM Human Resources about utilizing leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
  • Do I really need to meet with the ADA Coordinator if my supervisor and I agree to an accommodation? 
    • If you and your supervisor are in agreement about your accommodation request, you may draft and submit an accommodation agreement, utilizing a CEEO accommodation agreement template, and submit it to CEEO upon completion. In limited circumstances, an ADA Coordinator may make revisions or ask to meet to ensure that the accommodation is reasonable under the ADA. If needed, an ADA Coordinator can assist with drafting the accommodation agreement. 
  • Who is responsible for paying for accommodations?  
    • The department in which the employee works is responsible for paying for the accommodation. 
  • What if my department cannot afford an accommodation?  
    • If a department does not have funds available to pay for an accommodation, the department can request assistance from the University by submitting a Reasonable Accommodation Funding form
  • Do I need an accommodation for my service animal? 
    • University Policy 2295 governs the presence of service animals on campus. An accommodation is not required, but the service animal handler must follow the requirements outlined in policy. 

Title IX FAQs

  • What is covered under Title IX?
    • Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs, services and activities that receive Federal financial assistance (grants) from the federal government. Covered programs and activities include admissions, financial aid, academic programs, student treatment, services, counseling and guidance, discipline, classroom assignment, grading, vocational education, recreation, physical education, housing and employment, Forms of discrimination include sex-based discrimination, gender-based harassment, and sexual harassment.
  • Does Title IX only apply to students?
    • No, Title IX does not only apply to students. Title IX applies to everyone at UNM – students, staff, faculty, residents, post docs, contractors, etc.
  • What is sex-based harassment in an educational setting?
    • Gender-based harassment is unwelcomed conduct based on someone’s actual or perceived sex. This includes slurs, taunts, stereotypes, or name calling, as well as gender motivated physical threats, attacks, or other hateful conduct.
  • What is sexual harassment?
    • Sexual harassment is unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.
  • Who must adhere to Title IX?
    • Recipients who receive Federal financial assistance and operate educations programs must adhere to Title IX. This applies to programs, services, and activities offered by colleges, universities and other institutions that operate educational programs. Title IX applies not only to students and other program participants but to employees of grant recipients. All public universities and many private universities receive Federal financial assistance.
  • Who is protected under Title IX?
    • All students, staff, faculty, and contractors at UNM are protected under Title IX. This also includes residents, fellows, post docs, interns, adjunct and visiting faculty, etc. Anyone affiliated with UNM is protected against sex discrimination under Title IX.
  • What behaviors are reportable under Title IX?
    • All forms of sex discrimination are considered reportable offenses under Title IX. Examples include, but are not limited to, stalking, discrimination based on one’s gender identity or expression, domestic or dating violence, unwanted touching, sexual violence, or excessive unwanted attention.
  • How do I make a report of sex discrimination?
    • You can make a CEEO report several ways, but visiting the CEEO page within the EthicsPoint portal, using the EthicsPoint 24-hour hotline at 1-888-899-6092, contacting Dr. Angela Catena, Title IX Coordinator at acatena@unm.edu or by phone at 1-505-277-5251.
  • What if I don’t want to report harassment but need support?
    • You can contact one of our many confidential locations on campus to learn more about your options, rights, and responsibilities. These places offer a range of support services including mental health counseling, referrals, and confidential advocacy - depending on the area. Confidential Advocacy Centers (for students) include the LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center, the Women's Resource Center, the LGBTQ Resource Center and the Vassar House. Other student confidential locations include the Student Health and Counseling (SHAC), Learning Environment Office (Director and Assistant Director) and the Accommodation Resource Center Accommodation Specialists for the purposes of assisting a student with an accommodation. CARS and OMBUDS are great confidential resources available to staff and faculty at UNM.

Read the Clery Act Compliance FAQs